Wednesday, December 10, 2008

!!!Foodie Feature!!!

The very FIRST !!!Foodie Feature!!! It is by a guy who I like to call "The Jolly Green Giant". He has yet to determine his blog name, which has been a big ordeal and have caused mental angst day to day. However, it has not deterred him from contributing to the Foodie Features! Enjoy!!
-Raechel

Feels like an Arby’s Night

My morning commute includes a walk from Columbus Circle walking west to about a block away from the Hudson River. I usually stumble out of the subway station (thankfully the escalators have been working lately because who needs to a walk up a flight of stairs at 7:30 AM) and make me way down 60th St. It is here that I encounter what I call my “regulars”. The fruit stand guy, the breakfast cart (coming to this blog one day: FC’s review of Manhattan street food) and then of course there is my make believe African American friend, the doorman for some building between 8th & 9th Avenues, who I dubbed “D-lo”. Yes I am dead serious. Why? Well I’ll tell you why. He always has a smile on his face, he greets everyone walking by and the coolest thing he does is he gives a fist handshake (also known as a “fist bump”) to all residents of the building. Now I’m not entirely sure why I find this so fascinating, but everyday I walk by I keep wishing I lived in the building. Maybe D-lo and I would have a more elaborate handshake, maybe an exploding fist bump or what I call the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Ok so now you’re asking me what does this all have to do with a food blog. Well after going through a late night writing a paper on Google becoming a metanational company (please do me a favor and don’t ask) I needed an extra kick in the ass this morning. Well as an ode to my undergrad days I went and splurged on some Starbucks. As I made my way down 60th past D-lo’s building with Starbucks cup in hand I noticed that I was not getting the same love from my make believe best friend. I saw it in D-lo’s eyes. He thought I was selling out by drinking a Starbucks coffee. There was no time for me to explain, he had to hold the door open for someone exiting the building. I looked back hoping to see him play it off as one of our patent “gags”, but no, he had moved onto to fist bumping others. Needless to say it was a tough start to my morning. What D-lo needs to understand is that sometimes you crave for a fix from some franchised joint. It is perfectly acceptable to ask your girlfriend to go to the Outback so that you can order the blooming onion or you meet a friend for lunch to partake in the Pizza Hut buffet and yes even order a grande triple shot of espresso skim latte. My fellow foodies, while we should never accept the “food” produced by a franchise place as a part of our everyday lives, let us not look down at those that occasionally are tempted by an order of the loaded cheese fries. Now will someone please let D-lo know, so I can get back to planning our fake trip to Memphis (because he likes the blues).

FC

No comments:

Followers