Sunday, February 22, 2009

i'll have the chocolate with a side of bacon

one of my greatest friends came for a visit from the west coast and invited me for dinner at her sister's and soon to be brother in law's.


after dinner, my friend's sister said she had a surprise- something that her fiance didn't even know about, something for us to have before desert. i think she used some french word begining with the letter a, but i can't remember the word, and failed to find it when i tried to google search it. i think the definition of the word was some sort of food/meal before desert. if anyone knows what that word is- let me know because it's KILLING me.


anyway, she goes on to say that this is one of the many items that quickly sells out at whole foods. the suspense was killer, given this little factoid, and the build up from before.


it turns out that the surprise is mo's bacon bar, a chocolate bar with little bacon pieces. the back of the bar has the "inspiration" for creating this aggressive candy bar, and when you read it, it kinda makes sense:

"I began experimenting with bacon + chocolate at the tender age of 6, while eating chocolate chip pancakes drenched in Aunt Jemima® syrup, as children often do. Beside my chocolate-laden cakes laid three strips of sizzlin' bacon, just barely touching a sweet pool of maple syrup. And then, the magic—just a bite of the bacon was too salty and I yearned for the sweet kiss of chocolate and syrup, so I combined the two. In retrospect, perhaps this was a turning point; for on that plate something magical happened, the beginnings of a combination so ethereal and delicious that it would haunt my thoughts until I found the medium to express it—chocolate."


so having read that before taking a bite, i was like "oh, that makes sense", especially that i love both chocolate and bacon. actually, the irony is that before i came for dinner, the following email "conversation" took place between myself and my friend:
__________________________________
From: XXXX
To: raechel
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 3:24:05 PM
Subject: RE: friday din din


XXXX asked me to ask you if there is anything you can't eat. her words, "ask her if she is morally opposed to pork"
_________________________________

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:52:12 -0800
From: raechel
Subject: Re: friday din din
To: XXXX

does eating bacon on a regular basis answer her question? i am not morally opposed to anything...even when i was a jew as a semester long project in college...ha!
___________________________________

From: XXXX
To: raechel
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 4:55:00 PM
Subject: RE: friday din din

hahaha i remember that. not that she is gonna serve pork but she just wanted to be sure.


well it turns out, she DID serve pork (not as the main course), but in the form of a chocolate bar. while i am not sure that i would replace my favorite chocolate bars (twix, cookies and cream hershey bar, reese's peanut butter cup, milky ways) with mo's bacon bar, it's not as bad as it sounds. i think the problem was that i coudn't get the idea of bacon grease plus chocolate in my head, so it was a bit overwhelming. but like my dinner host said, it is one of the fasting selling items at whole foods- so maybe this mixing chocolate with random foods is the new trend!

No comments:

Followers